GPs need to ensure they maintain the full indemnity cover before any change to a state-backed scheme in the future. The following links direct you to useful sources of information which should be carefully considered before making a decision on your indemnity provider. Please note that unfortunately neither the LMC or the BMA are able to give specific advice or guidance on which medical defence organisation a doctor should use.
Medical Defence Union (MDU) - Transitional Benefits
The MDU has published a range of information about its transitional benefits offer on its website including:
• Why we are introducing Transitional Benefits
• Transitional Benefits explained
• Extended Benefit Rights Explained
• Change to GP Membership Webinar
The FAQs include advice regarding retirement and changing indemnity provider.
The LMC would advise any doctor with MDU membership, or considering MDU membership, to read the information carefully and listen to the webinar to help them make an informed decision. If doctors still have remaining questions they should contact the MDU to discuss these.
Additional Background Information
The other indemnity organisations and a large insurer have all issued a formal response to the MDU offer which may be helpful in considering your options and the Department of Health has also issued a commentary:
• Department of Health Statement on Indemnity in General Practice, October 2017
• MDU’s Response to the Department of Health Statement
• MDDUS Response to the MDU Offer
• MPS Response to the MDU Offer
• MIAB Response to the MDU Offer
This guidance is also set out in an LMC Advice Sheet which you can download here.